Sunday, August 1, 2010

Beating Them At Their Own Game

page 287-288/ August 1,2010
Quote #4
Quote:“I stand, stood up slowly, feeling numb between the shoulders. The white pillows on the floor of the Seclusion Room were soaked from me peeing on them while I was out. I couldn’t remember all of it yet but I rubbed my eyes with the heels of my hands and tried to clear my head. I worked at it. I’d never worked out of coming out of it before.”

This was after Bromden got the EST shocks. He is saying that he is beating the Combine. The Combine shocks the patients to numb and dull their mind and body so they end up a vegetable. When they become a vegetable, they cannot talk and are restrained to a bed. After the shocks, they want the patients to stay unconscious for many days. However, Bromden has figured out how to beat them and come out of it faster than what they expect. This is when Bromden realizes that he does not have to let other people tell him to live his life. He knows that he does not have to fear for his life now every time they send him to get the electrotherapy. He can beat them at their own game.

No comments:

Post a Comment