Saturday, July 24, 2010

Should we be skeptical of McMurphy?

pages 251-271/ July 24, 2010
Reading Response #9
If I were one of the characters in this novel, I think I would have to side with what Nurse Ratched said in their most recent afternoon meeting. Throughout the novel so far I have believed that what McMurphy had been doing for the guys has been good for them. However, I can see where Nurse Ratched could be right with some of the things that she said. McMurphy may be doing good for these guys but it is not without something positive resulting for him (i.e. money). I would be skeptical of McMurphy from here on out if I was a patient at the ward. At the beginning of the book, I thought that what he was doing was fair and not just for the kick back of money that he was receiving from all of his patients. When McMurphy allowed the guys to bet on Bromden as to whether or not he could lift the control panel was not fair when he already knew that it could be lifted. As a character in the book, I would feel let down by Randle because I expected more out of him. As he finishes out his time in the ward, I do not think that any of the characters should bet any of their money against him because it is almost guaranteed that they will lose it and there is always some kind of mischief that follows his actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment